Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Navigating Our Way to a Plant-based Diet

Quote du Jour
   Knowing where you're going has a lot to do with getting there. ~ Unknown

How was I going to do this?
I love to cook, I enjoy shopping for produce and trying new flavors, I really love to cook for my family, and I truly love that they look forward to several traditional holiday dishes. I now realized that all of these recipes include animal-products as ingredients, and are what I now call, *cloggers.

Approaching this as a math equation, setting A, B, C and D as criteria...

    Can A+B+C+D - (all animal-based products) = VeggieBound Excellence?

A. We're eating plant-based for the long-haul...
This is NOT a fad "Diet du Jour" 
Our long-term health is at stake. I'm going to make this work for us, but golly gee, I want my food to taste good.

B. home is a safe place for all in our family...
I want my husband to be able to eat every item served in our home
I want my family to continue to enjoy the favorite dishes they look forward to having at family celebrations. And, I want to serve foods that taste good! Boring food is just not going to help this cause.

C. would eating a plant-based diet be healthy for the rest of us...
We did our homework
To fully understand how healthy plant-based eating would be for all of us, and to implement this important dietary change in our life, my husband and I:
  1. read science-based diet information
  2. attended lectures and seminars and listened to Books-on-CDs on roadtrips
  3. collected science-based diet literature and videos
  4. took fieldtrips (my favorite part of this project!) to non-chain restaurants to sample plant-based meals prepared by professional chefs 
D. and can long-time family favorites be revised to be plant-based?
Revisit Favorite Family Recipes
Revise favorite family dishes to be plant-based, and retain all the deliciousness that made the dish a family favorite to begin with. I want my food to taste good, and I am convinced that good food can and should be healthy!


= YES!
Our food tastes even better!
And our family’s favorite recipes don’t clog our arteries, we have more energy, and we all feel much better than we have for quite some time. Food coma? I can't remember the last time I've had one. Best of all, deleting animal-based foods does NOT mean eliminating flavor

So, how can I help you get there from here?
I developed strategies to implement plant-based eating 24/7
Because changing any habit necessitates developing thoughtful strategies and support structures to succeed, we found cooking tools and appliances to do most of the work for us,  collected new recipes, tried new herbs and spices, then finally applied our new knowledge to revising old family favorites.

Let's start with cheese
VeggieBound Challenge to You
Chew on this: What are the qualities of cheese that you like? 

Coming next week
The promised "to die for" plant-based schmear recipe

This little piggy went to market...
In season: This week at your grocery story
Apples 
Winter squash, all kinds, including
   acorn
   butternut
   hubbard
   etc. 



*See VeggieBound September 8, 2013 post, FaceOff: Clogger vs Unclogged
    Clogger = recipe includes animal-based ingredients
    UnClogged = only plant-based ingredients in recipe 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment